Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Releases from White Rocket Books

Readers of this blog should be familiar with the name Van Plexico. He's not only a friend and fellow author but the founder and publisher of White Rocket Books. It his through him that I have seen my work published.

I first "met" Van online around 1998 by way of his fantastic website, Avengers Assemble, dedicated to my favorite Marvel Comics series. As it turned out, Van was from a town not far from where I was living at the time and had actually bought comics from the same store I did during the time he was attending Auburn University.

A couple of years ago, Van called upon the various Avengers experts that have entered his circle since starting the website to compile a book full of analysis and opinion on Marvel's series. This book was called Assembled!, and the profits from it have been donated to HERO Initiative, which is a charity set up to assist former comic book creators. I had the honor of contributing a chapter to that book.

Then, earlier this year, a follow-up called Assembled! 2 was released. Alas, I did not contribute to this one but it is full of wonderful insight to The Avengers and a worthy companion to the first book. However, I was thrilled to discover my name in the book. On the very last page, there is an advertisement listing other books available from White Rocket.

There, listed among the work of other authors, is "My Brother's Keeper by David Wright". Well, I wasn't expecting that! Thanks a lot, Van, for throwing that in there!

I understand, though, that at the time you laid that page out you probably thought the book would be out by the end of this year. But, hey, nothing wrong with a little advance promotion!

Van started White Rocket Books in order to publish his own original series of superhero novels, The Sentinels. This first three books in the series were picked up by a larger publishing company and the follow-up short story anthology, Alternate Visions, included a pair of my stories.

Now, Van has released the latest entry in The Sentinels series, called The Shiva Advent. I have just finished reading this book and I am impressed with the pace of the story and the ease of the reading. If you are a fan of comic book superheroes, particular teams such as The Avengers, then The Sentinels will seem familiar to you. This book really seemed to find its stride immediately, pushing the book forward with a constant sense of momentum while at the same time revealing more about the main characters. It was a breeze and a blast and it has only left me wanting more Sentinels action right away.

There are, at the moment, five more novels planned in the series with a possibility of more short stories as well as some tales in fully-illustrated traditional comic book format. "Superhero prose" is a category that has seen a lot of growth in the last three or four years, and Van is right at the front of that movement. And I'm thrilled to be associated with White Rocket.

He's also got another novel out there and some Sherlock Holmes stories published and plans for a whole lot more, but I think I've promoted Van enough today!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for the kind words, Dave! I'm looking forward to having your book in our stable.
    http://www.whiterocketbooks.com

    ReplyDelete