Friday, September 18, 2009

Problems Solved, Pondered and Helpless.

Yay! At long last, I have written an opening to my second book, Marching As To War, that I am happy with.

It took two false starts and a lot of head-scratchin', but I finally figured it out. I have found a way to introduce a bit more dramatic tension to the opening chapter that adds some early action and yet still accomplishes plot-wise what I need it to.

I feel like I've finally gotten the characters out of the starting gate and it should be easier to write from this point forward.

A problem solved.

As I undertake this book, especially the opening chapters, I have a decision to make. Do I write this as a second stand-alone novel that may be read by people that have not read the first book? Or do I treat this as the second Act of the same book?

In other words: while I am releasing three books separately, I do plan on compiling them into one edition later. And that's really the story's true form, one complete work. So, when I re-introduce characters, locations and concepts for the first time in the second book, should I include enough description and explanation to help readers jumping into the series late, even if this means it will seem redundant in the final collected edition?

A problem to ponder.

The good news is I have now knocked out roughly the first 14,000 words of Book 2, and I'm ready to push forward, satisfied with what I have planned. The bad news is I don't have any time in my life to set aside for writing.

The one piece of advice I see from professional writers the most often is to keep writing, keep writing and keep writing. A pro must have the discipline to write a certain number of words per day. I get that. But I have other concerns.

I have a day job as a producer of documentaries. We are currently very busy with three projects going on simultaneously. And in addition to covering high school football on a weekly basis, I also have a fledging side business of producing wedding videos. That business has required a lot of my time and money these past few months and I am already seeing fruit from that so I expect to be kept busy with that enterprise from this point forward.

And, of course, I must make time for my wife and son, both of whom wish I could make twice as much money as I do now yet stay at home and never have to work. I promise they're not Democrats. Suffice it to say I am blessed to have a family that desires to have me spend time with them, I'd sure hate the alternative.

So I am left with a huge novel to write and no time to dedicate to the task, other than what I sneak in on airplanes and in hotels when I'm away on business. Which isn't often enough for this book to get finished in the next five years.

A helpless problem.

Yet somehow it must be solved. Maybe the wedding business will take off so successfully that I can pay other people to work for me. Or maybe my first book will be so loved by publishing houses that I will be offered a huge sum to give up everything else and write the sequel full time.

...uh-huh... and maybe pigs will grow wings, Obama really was born in America and college football will adopt a playoff system...




4 comments:

  1. Oh, not the "Birther" thing! Gaaah!!! And I was with you till then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote that *specifically* with you in mind! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey david

    im right there with you man. i am working full time. going to school full time. spending as much time as i can with T and P, completely remodeling the house in which we live, leading worship for graduate chapels, maintaining all of the cars in our circle of friends and somehow i don't seem to be able to find the time to sculpt. . .
    but-- i just found a 220 volt outlet hiding in the garage and i'm about to fire up the welder for the first time since we moved back to the US.
    a writer writes- a sculptor sculpts and anything a poet says is apt to be poetry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Anonymous, I have no doubt you can relate. I'm quite sure you have it worse than I do. Good luck with that welder, remember to flip down that helmet so you don't have to go around the house holding your eyes open to get one last look at your family. :)

    ReplyDelete