Thursday, December 18, 2008

Character Sketch: Lucas Griffon























Lucas Griffon is the younger brother of Galen. As the story begins, he is sixteen years old and resentful towards what he perceives as Galen's preferred status.


Lucas never knew his father. His mother was widowed while she carried Lucas in her womb. He has grown up in Galen's shadow and is eager to earn the same accolades that seem to come to his brother so easily.


I am really pleased with this drawing, I think it came out very well. I had been drawing sketches of Galen for years, but had never given a lot of thought to a look for Lucas. Then one day I drew this with a ballpoint on the back of some computer paper and I fell in love with it. I think I really nailed the definitive look for Lucas with this illustration.


I scanned it in, cleaned it up and colored it. I knew I wanted a darker palette than what I used for Galen, yet I wanted enough similarity to provide symmetry as the novel follows the stories of both brothers. I hope you enjoy it, you can click on the images to see larger version.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a really nice look. I like the colors a lot, in particular. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete