Friday, November 21, 2008

Novel Update

It's been eight months since I've posted to this blog and there are multiple reasons for that. Primarily, there was some kind of weird mix-up that kept me from logging in. I was recognized as a member, but it didn't realize I had an existing blog.

But that's all behind us now. When last I wrote I was on my way to Africa last March. I did take my laptop and managed to write about 6,000 words during that trip. That included a scene that had long been in my head concerning how magic works in this particular fantasy world. The idea of magic in a Christian world was one of the main things I wanted to play with in this story, so it's safe to say various characters disagree on exactly what the rules -- and dangers -- of magic are.

I was called home early from Africa due to my father's health and it would be June before I wrote again. I knocked out a few more scenes in June and July, but I quit writing again. I didn't pick it up until late September. It's not that I lost my drive or interest. It was more of a case of getting hung up on the need to absolutely nail a scene the first time every time. I had lost my ease. I was not, as a friend put it, ignoring my inner editor.

But September rolled around and I resolved to making a big writing push through the fall and to the end of the year. I put aside distractions. I promised myself that I would not read any more novels for the rest of 2008, as I had already read 19 of them since January. I also have denied myself from renting movies. Any spare time I have, I want to spend it writing.

I did well up through early November. I actually finished writing all the scenes that I had broken down onto index cards. So what I have done in the last week or so is I have taken my plot outline back out and have broken the remaining story onto index cards. I have figured out what the scenes need to be, including notes on POV and plot point.

This was very exciting. I had 29 cards. For the first time, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just 29 more scenes to go. They don't have to be long, just interesting. And last night, I completed a scene, so I'm down to 28.

I'd love to do one scene a week. Even better if I could do two. We'll see. Life is busy, it's hard to find time. But I want to finish this thing. 

Next: Character Business

1 comment:

  1. Great disciplined approach. You absolutely have to go at it that way to get anything done, in any time other than when things are just hitting on all cylinders (which happens only when everything falls into place-- not that often, at least for me!)

    I find that when I don't fully understand my own plot or characters, I lose that drive. Once I know exactly what's coming up ahead, I can hardly get away from the keyboard...

    ReplyDelete