Monday, March 10, 2008

Write right, Wright p1: Dialogue over Narration

Well, I've talked this up enough that it seems like I'm going to have something huge and profound to say.  That's not really the case at all. It's just that there's a certain in pitfall in writing that has tempted me.

I've worked so hard on my plot and in weaving together all the various plotlines that now I just want to tell everybody the whole story right away.

It's sort of frustrating to know all the major story elements of all three books but  yet still be forced to sit down and flesh scenes out.

The temptation in writing the scenes is to just describe the plot to the reader. But I know that's a huge mistake. I believe the success of any story is judged by the degree to which the readers can relate to and invest in the characters. 

As I started out constructing my scenes I had to remind myself to not just use my power as omnipotent storyteller to explain what is happening. I  have to allow the characters to arrive at their decisions and actions naturally. They each need their own distinct personality, preferences and agendas.

One of the keys is to rely on the dialogue and actions of your characters to carry the reader through the story. Sounds obvious. But if you are an amateur novelist like myself who is excited by the story you've cooked up, the temptation can certainly be there to get through everything as fast as you can so that you can describe the next cool thing.

Of course, by forcing patience and allowing the characters to carry the story, the writer opens himself up to one of the greatest joys of the process. As I discussed in "Characters Can Surprise You", it's a blast to see  your characters come to life and begin dictating to you what they are going to do.

This may be my last post for a while. I leave Wednesday for three weeks in Sudan, Africa. I'm shooting a documentary over there that will detail what missionaries have accomplished for the area. So it will probably be April before I can post again. 

I've got plenty of hours in airplanes ahead of me. I'm taking my laptop and hope to knock out a few thousand words while I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment